Pathology & Genetics
Modern molecular biology techniques offer an immediate answer to key clinical questions.
Department of Molecular Pathology & Genetics
Some of the benefits of the Molecular Diagnostic Approach are:
- the detection of an infection in the early stages
- the determination of the activity/transmissibility of diseases
- the evaluation of the response to the treatments followed
- the precise determination of the type of disease to personalize treatment
- the detection and prevention of hereditary diseases
- the determination of the exact genetic damage and the correlation with the phenotype
The methodologies we apply At LOCUS MEDICUS are based on variants of the polymerase chain reaction (PCR, RT-PCR, RealTime PCR) and provide with the necessary know-how the ability to detect and analyze the genome of viruses, bacteria, parasites, and human genetic material always in accordance with internationally accepted scientific protocols.
In our laboratory, the modern technique of DNA microarrays (DNA microarrays) operated for the first time in Greece at the level of diagnosis, which in conjunction with PCR can give us rapid results of identification and standardization of viruses with affinity (HPV types, herpes viruses, respiratory viruses), as well as DNA of polymorphisms.
The department also has a state-of-the-art DNA Sequencer analyzer, for the accurate dna determination of sequences, which plays a very important role in the detection of mutations for diseases such as cystic fibrosis and for the accurate, as well as documented, determination of kinship between individuals, such as parental affinity testing.